Monday, January 30, 2012

Chapter Eight: Movin' On Up


Donovan walks over to Emmalina's crib and picks her up. He brings her to his chest and sighs. I can't believe it's already her birthday. It feels like we just brought her home from the hospital. She's growing up way too fast, before I know it she'll be graduating high school and making her own way through the world. He puts her back down in the crib and stands to stare at his perfect little girl. He sighs again and pulls out his cell phone to invite Romeo and Bianca over to celebrate Emmalina's birthday.



When they arrive Romeo walks over to Donovan to chat. "How's things been going for the three of you?" Romeo asks.

"Really good. I think Amelia is a bit anxious to get back to work though. She's not exactly the stay at home type."

"No she's not." he agrees. They stand in silence for a moment until Romeo asks, "How is she really doing? Is she back to her old self again? I'm sorry I haven't been around much lately, I've just been so busy with work."

"That's okay, we both understand and yes. She seems to be doing much better. She's smiling again and I think Emmalina had a lot to do with that."

"I would imagine so."



Donovan and Romeo continue to chat and catch up while Bianca goes to say hi to Emmalina. Bianca secretly loves children and can't wait to have some of her own. She and her husband have been trying for awhile with no luck.




Donovan calls everyone into the kitchen and Bianca hands Emmalina over to him. Everyone cheers and claps as Donovan holds Emmalina next to her birthday cake and blows out the candle for her. Amelia walks over to cut the cake and hands everyone a piece. She watches Donovan with Emmalina. She could sit there and watch them for hours. He's a great father and she knows how lucky she is to have him. Donovan sits Emmalina down and everyone watches in awe as she grows up.



Donovan walks over and picks her up. The first thing he notices is that she has Amelia's big blue eyes. After everyone finishes their cake, they say goodbye and leave. Amelia walks over to Donovan and he says, "She has your eyes."

"I noticed that but she has your hair color."

"Yeah, she's like the perfect balance between us. Equal parts of you and I rolled into a perfect little bundle."

Amelia laughs, "I guess you could put it that way. You worry about her though don't you?"

Donovan glances down, not able to slip anything past Amelia. "I do. Amelia, I don't want her to know anything about the world we fight in."

"I don't want her to know about vampires either. It's too dangerous and if she's anything like us, she'll dive in head first wanting to be a part of it."

"I don't know if I could handle that. I don't want her to have that life. I don't want her to have to constantly look over her shoulder at night worrying if this will be the night she'll finally loses the fight."

"I know, I don't want that for her either. But do you think we'll be able to keep this a secret? When she get's older she'll want to know where I go at night."

"We'll just make up something, we still have a little while before she starts asking questions."

"Alright. Give her to me so I can give her bath and put her to bed."



Donovan hands her over and Amelia takes her into the bathroom to give her a quick bath. She dresses Emmalina in her pajamas and heads over to the crib. She lays her down and gives her a kiss goodnight, hoping she and Donovan can pull this off. "Goodnight, Emmalina. Sweet dreams, I love you." She stands in front of the crib and watches Emmalina swiftly fall asleep.



Donovan walks in and says, "There was actually something else I've been thinking about too."

She walks over to him and quietly says, "What's that?"

"I think we need to look for a bigger place. This apartment is too small, Emmalina doesn't even have her own room."

"I know but can we afford that right now?"

"I don't know, I can look in the newspaper and see what's available for rent."

"Alright, just let me know what you find." She kisses him on the cheek and walks into the bathroom to shower.



When she comes out, dressed to go out, Donovan asks, "You're going to patrol the streets with the Night Hunters? I didn't know you were thinking about going back this soon."

"I wasn't but Romeo mentioned earlier that they are lacking members. Renee quit the team after...what happened. So I'm just going to patrol my section until morning."

"Are you sure you're ready for this? If you're not and Romeo really needs the back up, I'll go."



Amelia takes his hands into hers. "No, you don't have to do that. I can't stay at the apartment forever. I'm ready and I think Romeo knows that too or he wouldn't have mentioned it to me."

"You might be ready but I'm not sure I am. After what happened.....is it bad for me to say I was hoping you'd quit?"

"No, it's not. But I have to do this, It's the only way I'll ever fully get over all of this. Plus the more I train the better I can defend myself."

Donovan wipes his hand across his face. "Alright." He looks at her, letting his eyes take her in. He grabs her close and whispers in her ear. "Have I ever told you how sexy you look in that outfit?"

She smiles and kisses him. "I'm sure Romeo won't mind if I'm a few minutes late." They head into the bedroom and all thoughts of going out tonight are forgotten.



When Amelia wakes up she calls Romeo to tell him she's sorry she couldn't make it last night, leaving out the reason why. After that she get's Emmalina a bottle and sits down to try and teach her how to talk. "Say Ma ma."

"Da da da da da." Of course she would say Da Da first. Donovan will be thrilled.

Amelia continues to say words but all Emmalina seems to want is her daddy. So she gives up and hands her to Donovan.



Donovan grabs her and tickles her. Amelia can't help but laugh. All frustration gone from trying to teach her daughter to talk. She stands at the corner of the room just watching them play.



Donovan throws Emmalina into the air and flies her around the room. She squeals and laughs the entire time. "Donovan see if you can get her to start walking." Amelia says as she goes into the kitchen to make pancakes.



Donovan takes her little hands and stands her up. They start to walk across the room and Donovan gives her words of encouragement. "Come on Emmalina, you can do it. Walk to Daddy."
Slowly put surely Emmalina takes her first steps on her own, towards him.


He picks her up and carries her across the room and then goes back to the other side. She gets up and heads straight for him where he's waiting with his arms wide open. She stumbles a little but finally makes it to him and falls into his arms. He lifts her into the air to celebrate.



She laughs as she's being tossed and says, "Da da da da da."

He immediately stops and looks at her. "What did you say?"

"Da da."

A huge grin spreads across his face. Those are the greatest words he's even heard spoken.



He pulls her in for a hug, he's heart melted in a puddle. "Little girl you've got me wrapped around your finger, do you know that?"

"Da da da da." She says as she giggles.

He laughs and sits her down to play with her toys. "Play with this while Daddy goes to talk to Mommy about your new room."



Donovan walks into the living room where Amelia is. "I found us an apartment."

"Really? Already? When can we go look at it?"

"Actually I already signed the lease."

"YOU WHAT?"

"Just here me out. I didn't have a choice. There was another couple who was there to look at it after me. If I didn't sign it right then, we would have lost it. It's a huge three bedroom apartment. Emmalina will finally have her own room."

"Three bedrooms? Donovan how can we afford that? We don't have the money!"

"Yes we do."

"How?"

"I....I sold my car."

"What?! But you love that car. You've had it before we were even dating."

"I know, but the two of you are more important than a car, Amelia. I'll just take the subway like everyone else. This is what I wanted to do."

"Alright. You're sure you won't regret this later?"

"Absolutely not. This is the right thing for my family. Why would I ever regret that?"

"I know. Anything to make us happy, you'd do it. So, when do we move in?"

"Tonight. I know that doesn't give us a lot of time to pack and the moving trucks will be here in a few hours."

"A few HOURS!?"

Amelia leaves Donovan in he living room and rushes around the apartment gathering things and throwing them in boxes. Donovan finally catches up with her and soon they are taping the last box as someone knocks on the door. The moving crew take all the boxes to load them up. When everything is loaded, Amelia grabs Emmalina and takes one last look at the now empty apartment. There's been a lot of good memories and bad memories here. She decides to take the good memories and leaves the bad memories behind her in the bare apartment she once called home. They all get into the taxi Donovan flagged down and the moving trucks follow them to their new apartment.



_________________________________________________________________________________
NOTES:

Sorry for all the father-daughter picture spam. They were all so cute I couldn't pick which ones to use so I used them all! Also please ignore the pose box in a couple of pictures. I should pay more attention when I'm taking screenshots. Hope you guys enjoy this chapter. Thanks again for reading. =]

10 comments:

  1. xD I do the same thing with the pose box sometimes. Thats why I now have it hidden around the back of the house and then just move it when I'm taking fishing photos.

    Loved the photo spam. Emmalina is so adorable. No wonder Donovan is such a happy daddy!

    The scene where she forgot to go to work made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I guess I should pay more attention next time.

      I know, she is too cute!

      Me too. I was like, "Well, I guess you're on your own Romeo." Haha.

      Delete
  2. Donovan is a lovely father. And Emmalina is just gorgeous.
    I can't wait to see the new apartment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She is! I can't wait until she ages into at a least a teenager so I can really see what she will look like.

      Delete
  3. Lol I've never even noticed the pose box, had to scroll back up, that's how good I am at observing after midnight!

    How come I always seem to run behind a chapter or two with your legacy?

    I loved the Donovan and Emmaline spam, she is very adorable and I like her hair! Makes her look like her dad!
    But seriously, moving like that, talking about impulsive, now I can understand why he can't hold a job for more then a week, had nothing to do with loosing his fiancee (it was fiancee right?) And best friend.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. It's okay. I figured someone would notice so I decided to post a little explanation.

      I guess sometimes I fall through the cracks! I don't think you're on my followers list either, you followed my other one though.

      Ahaha. I know! He is very impulsive, maybe that does have a little bit to do with it. Yes, it was his fiancee.

      Delete
    2. did I forget to follow this one?? Horrible! I'll do it right away!

      though you are on my "blogs i'm up to date with" list on my own blog ;) so I can see when you have updated :)

      and you don't fall through the cracks :) I think it has more to do with me not being able to keep up atm :(

      Delete
  4. Cuuuuuuute girl alert!! Those eyes are going to be amazing!

    A three bedroom, huh? That should give them room for more, eh?? Haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my God! Father daughter spam yes please! Holy cow, what a cute pair! I love it! I am now totally hooked on your legacy. Can't wait to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol @ Red's comment. I had the same exact thought about buying the three bedroom.

    The toddler spam is adorable, and I love how Donovan sacrificed his car for the family. What a sweet guy. =D

    ReplyDelete