Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Chapter Three: Plasma 501


Amelia decided to head down to the book store to purchase a more advanced logic book. Romeo suggested she keep her mind sharp and as strong as possible so she won't fall into a vampire's control. She browses the shelves until she finds what she's looking for and heads over to the cashier to pay for the book and a cup of coffee. Since it's such a nice day, she sits on a bench right outside the book store and starts to skim through it will she sips her coffee.



Amelia's cell starts ringing so she takes it out of her pocket and looks at the Caller ID. "Hey Romeo, what's up?"

"Hey, are you ready to have your first lesson in vampire hunting?" he asks.

"Finally, It's been weeks since you filled me in about vampires. I thought you'd forgotten I joined."

Romeo laughs. "No I didn't forget about you. We've just been busy with the scientists and we've had a break through on a project we were working on. I'll fill you in when you arrive. Meet me at corner of 5th and Main."

"Alright, I need to run home and change and then I'll be on my way."

"Wear something dressy."

"Wait, I thought you said we were training. Why would I need to wear a dress?"

"You'll see when you get here."

"Alright then, Bye." Amelia hangs up and waves for a cab to take her home to change.



After going home to dress and fix her hair, she waves for another cab. She gives the cab driver the address and stares out the window, trying to get her thoughts in order. What the hell kind of training is this if I'm in a short dress and high heels? I thought I'd go through more gun training or knife throwing. What is Romeo up to? The cab driver slams on the breaks and whips the cab down another street. Amelia grabs the door handle to keep herself from sliding across the back seat. Holy shit lady, where did you learn how to drive? A NASCAR track? After 25 more minutes of the cab ride from Hell, they finally arrive at her destination.
"That'll be $48.50." the cab driver tells her. She hands over the money just as she sees Romeo standing on the sidewalk in front of a huge building.



She walks over to join Romeo on the sidewalk. "You made it."

"Yes, barely in one piece though I might add."

"Well you made good time, we have a chance to go over a few things before Renee gets here."

"Who's Renee?" asks Amelia.

"Renee Littler, she's one of the vampires on the team."

"I'm meeting vampires tonight?" Amelia said with obvious stress in her voice.

"Yes. Why are you so worried? I told you not all of them are bad. Some of the most decent people I've ever met were vampires."

"Well, from what I've heard so far, they're no better than rabid animals."

"Ahhh, I see Donovan finally told you his story."

"How did you know about that?"

"He's my roommate, Amelia. Plus, I was on the team when John died. A little of all of us died that day. This is a dangerous job and you can't let your emotions get in the way. They cloud your judgement and will cause you to make stupid mistakes. If you can't do that then maybe you shouldn't be a Night Hunter."

"No, you're right. I'm sorry. I'll keep an open mind and learn to keep my feelings in check."

"Alright then. Come with me, there's something I want to show you."



They walked into the building and took the elevator down to the basement. "What is this place?" asked Amelia.

"This is a vampire club. I wanted to take you down here first to show you these." Romeo points to two stone boxes.

"Are those coffins? They really sleep in coffins?"

"They are sort of like coffins and no, most vampires don't sleep in coffins anymore. Centuries ago, houses weren't built as well as they are today. Sunlight would creep in the cracks and cause the vampires to become weakened, making them easy prey for hunters. They'd sleep in coffins to keep the Sun out. Most of them sleep in beds now except the really old ones, they prefer the old ways."

"These things give me the creeps."

"Yeah, they are kind of creepy. Luckily we don't see them that often. I wanted to tell you a few things before we go up to the club. I need to explain how you can tell if a person is a vampire or not."

"Yes, they would be helpful to know so I don't go around stabbing people that are just a little pale."

Romeo starts laughing. "Yes, that would indeed be bad but you're right vampires are noticeably paler than most humans. But a vampire's most notable feature is their eyes."

"Wouldn't it be, oh I don't know...their long, sharp pointy canines?" Amelia asks with a touch of annoyance.

"No, those can be retracted."

"Retracted?"

"Yes, their fangs will come out for several reasons though."

"Which are?"

"Obviously when they need to feed. But they also come out when they're angry or fighting and when they are in sexual situations."

"God, I feel sorry for their lovers. How does one make out with those things?"

"Carefully....I would imagine. Anyways, that's not the point. The point is their eyes. They have a glow to them. They glow a little brighter when they are controlling someone. Which reminds me, have you been reading and studying those logic books I told you to get?"

"Yes, I just picked up a more advanced one before called"

"Good, you'll need as much knowledge as you can learn. It will keep them from controlling you. You can't fight until that's done. We definitely don't want a rouge to be able to control members of the team."

"That makes sense. They could control us to shoot each other."

"Exactly, now you see why this is so important. The other thing I wanted to talk to you about is very important and will completely change the way we fight them. I got a call yesterday that our scientists have figured out a way to put us on an equal level with vampires. Some of the vampires on the team have been donating their blood so our scientists could run tests on it. They created a drug, which we respectfully named Brams. This drug will temporarily give us the speed and strength of a vampire. They just finished the testing trails yesterday and it's ready to be used for the team. Vampire blood is an ingredient in it so our supplies are limited but we should be able to pull off one per person for every fight."

"How much vampire blood are in the pills? We won't turn into vampires after years of using them will we?"

"No, to become a vampire you're blood has to be drained by one, almost to the point of death and then replaced with the vampire's blood. It's a very delicate process and not everyone survives it. In the past we've used their blood on our mortally wounded Night Hunters and it's saved their life. It will heal any cut, broken bone, or gun shot wound but it takes quite a bit to heal them which leaves the vampires weakened. This pill will eliminate that since it takes a small amount to create it."

"Why don't you just use the blood from the rouges you kill?"

"Because there is no blood usually. See, when a vampire dies he returns to his state he should be in."

"What do you mean?"

"I'll give an example, say you kill a rouge who was 400 years old. When he dies his body will look like a 400 year old corpse. Which is basically nothing put bones."

"Oh okay, I got it now."

"Alright, let's head on up to the club."



"Welcome to Plasma 501." Romeo says after they exit the elevator on the top floor of the building.

"You know this looks exactly what I'd expect a vampire club to look like."

"Of course it does. It's all a show. All of these people think the vampires here are nothing more than costume make up, contacts and fake teeth and it needs to stay that way. We would have a city wide panic if they knew differently."

"I'd imagine so."

"Well come on, let's get a drink at the bar while we wait on Renee."

"Good, I need a drink, or seven."



Amelia follows Romeo to the bar where they find two available bar stools. Amelia orders a Falling Forever while Romeo orders a beer. They chat about work for awhile when Romeo excuses himself to the men's room. When he returns he says, "Renee is here are you ready to meet her?"

"After four of those...whatever they were called drinks, yeah I am."



"Renee, this is Amelia Burkhart our newest recruit. Amelia this is Renee Littler." The first thing Amelia notices about Renee is her eyes. My God, her eyes are beautiful. Romeo was right, that's one thing I'd never miss. "Renee you're the only vampire I see, where's Reuben tonight?" asked Romeo.

"How should I know?"

"Well he is your husband after all."

"So? I'm not his keeper."

So Renee has found her eternal lover....husband....person....whatever,
thought Amelia. "No I haven't and it's eternal mate dear, do try to keep up." Shit, I forgot about that. Although it's kind of rude for them to just read people's thoughts. "Get use to it."

Amelia ignores her response and asks, "Well, if he isn't your eternal mate then why are you married?"

"Because someone is better than no one. After living for 300 years without an eternal mate, something as simple as a husband helps to keep the loneliness at bay. We enjoy each one another so we decided to marry."

"What happens if one of you find your mate?"

"Then we will divorce and the other will be lonely again. Most vampires will not marry if they are not fated to be. They will continue their search for their mate."

"Actually Amelia, I asked Renee to meet us here not only so you could meet a vampire but also because I want to see if she can control you." Romeo says.

"What?" asks Amelia, not at all excited about this idea.

"It will just let us know where you're at with building your mind, okay? I won't let her control you to do anything drastic." Renee turns to Amelia and looks at her eyes. She can't help but to stare back at the beautiful bronze colored orbs. Please don't work, please don't work, please don't....



The next thing Amelia knew she was sitting at the bar, drinking something in a glass. Well damn. "I guess now you know you've got more studying to do." said Romeo as he walked over.

"Yeah, I guess I do." Amelia answered with a scowl.

"I'm sorry, but I needed to test you. Now you know from experience how bad this could be. The only reason why you even remember what happened to you is because I asked Renee to let you remember. Most people never know when they've been controlled. It's how vampires have lasted so long without everyone knowing about them."

"Well, I know now. Thanks for the lesson." Amelia said with sarcasm.

"Renee needs to discuss something with me so I'll be back in a few."

"Fine take your time."



"Vampires can be a bitch can't they?" said the bartender.

"I don't know what you're talking about" Amelia said.

"Listen lady, I've been a bartender here for 10 years and I'm not stupid. I know these are not humans with contacts and glued in fangs."

"Why do you assume that I know that too?"

"Because I know Romeo and I know what he does. He always brings the new recruits here. You've handled yourself better than some of those. The one before you pissed himself, poor guy. Most of them are all tough to start with, thinking they can handle the job and want to join. But after they actually meet a vampire and see him in action they run home screaming. You might not have seen them brawl yet but you did well with being controlled. That's a scary feeling when you don't have control of your own mind. If you can't trust your own mind then what can you trust?"

"That's true. I've already seen my worst fear, I have nothing left to be afraid of." Amelia said while she downed the rest of her drink. The bartender looked at her with a question in her eyes but Amelia didn't feel like talking about her dead parents. Losing her family was her biggest fear and now they're gone. "Hey can I get another one of these?" she asked.



Meanwhile at Amelia's apartment, Donovan is there waiting on Amelia to come home when he hears the door open and a man walks in. He immediate sees the glow in the stranger's eyes and grabs the gun he keeps in his pants against his lower back. "What the fuck are you doing here?" Donovan says as he aims his gun right at the vampire's heart.

The vampire sees the gun, grins and says, "And what exactly are you going to do with that?"

"I could shoot three silver bullets into your chest. That should be enough to shred your heart."

The vampire is a bit surprised about the silver in the gun. Most humans don't have silver bullets, too expensive. "I'm looking for Miss Burkhart. Is she here?"

"What do you want with Amelia?" Donovan is getting a little scared now. It was one thing for a vampire to wander into a random apartment looking for a snack but this vampire is specifically asking for Amelia.

"My wife is a Night Hunter as well, I came by to welcome Miss Burkhart to the team."

He's lying
. Every instinct Donovan had in his entire body was screaming it at him but he was very careful not to think about anything other than the situation in front of him. He had to keep his mind clear. "Get out and never come back. If you do, if you even walk by this fucking apartment building again, I will kill you."

"Do you really think you could kill me so easily? I could kill you by the time you shoot the second bullet." the vampire says as he takes a step closer to Donovan.

"Funny thing about these bullets, they explode on impact. One is all I'll need." That got the vampire's attention.

"Fine. I suppose I'll have to welcome Miss Burkhart when she's somewhere else." the vampire said with a smirk and walked out the door. Donovan immediately grabs his phone to call Amelia. He wants her home now, where's he can keep her safe. He needs to feel her soft, warm skin on his, needs to kiss and touch her to know she's alright. He dials her number as fast as his fingers can manage it and prays she picks up.



Amelia feels her cell buzzing in her purse. She grabs it, excuses herself to the bartender and walks away from the bar. "Hello?" she says. Donovan starts talking too fast and sounds very panicked. "What? Slow down Donovan. I can't hear what you're saying."

"Where are you?"

"I'm at Plasma 501, Why?"

"You're WHERE? I'm leaving to pick you up"

"Why?"

"Because, I'll explain on the way back to your place."

"No wait, I'm just going to catch a cab home, it will be better than you having to drive all the way and all the way back." He says something else she can barely hear. "I'll talk to you when I get home, it's hard to hear over the music. I'm leaving now. Bye." Amelia hangs up, waves bye to Romeo and rides the elevator to the ground floor. She flags down a cab and heads home.



As soon as Amelia walks in the door, Donovan grabs her and kisses her so passionately she's not sure if the room is spinning because of the drinks she had at the bar or this kiss. She pulls her head back to ask, "What's wrong? You sounded so frantic on the phone."



Donovan lets her go and explains everything that happened while she was out. "Did you ask what his name was?" she asked.

"No I didn't ask for his name, Amelia. I was a little concerned that a vampire knows who you are and where you live."

"It's probably Renee's husband, Reuben. I meet her tonight. Not a fan."

"Who is Renee?"

"She's a Night Hunter and a vampire." Maybe he was telling the truth. No....something was off about him. Donovan thinks. "I'll call Romeo tomorrow and ask him why he would just show up at my apartment."

"Alright but I'm bringing more guns over and silver chains in case this happens again."

"Fine, if it will make you feel better then do whatever you want." Donovan still looks worried and upset about this whole situation.



"Hey, look I'm fine. Not a scratch on me." Amelia says as she wraps her arms around his neck.

"I know that. But I will always worry about you. I don't exactly have a great track record with the people I love."

"Love? Are you saying you love me? Amelia asks with a glint of hope in her eyes.

Donovan looks down at her and brushes a his thumb across her lips and smiles. "Yes, I love you."

"I love you too." She says as she brings him closer for an embrace. He lifts her chin up and kiss her. It's soft and loving at first but quickly turns passionate. They start stumbling towards the bedroom, tearing off their clothes on the way.



Amelia lays on the bed and Donovan climbs on top of her. Continuing to kiss her where ever his lips will reach.



He pulls back to look into her eyes and say, "I know you think I'm being overprotective and I am but I protect what I love. I can't lose you, Amelia. It will destroy me enough to where I can't come back from it."

"I know and I understand. I don't want you to lose me either. When I'm with you, I do feel safe. I love you."

"I love you too."



They climb under the covers and make love. Both exhausted, that quickly fall asleep.



Even in sleep, Donovan holds Amelia, terrified someone will come and snatch away the greatest happiness his ever had in his life.



The next morning after breakfast, Amelia asks Donovan if he can help her build up her mind so vampires won't be able to control her. He agrees and they lay on the floor while he reads. "Let's move in together." Donovan says suddenly as he sits the book down beside him and reaches up to touch her.

Amelia is quiet for a minute then says, "Do you want to move in because you want to take the next step or because it's easier to protect me if you live here?"

"Both."

She shakes her head and smiles down at him. "What am I going to do with you?" Before he can answer, her phone rings and she picks it up.



"Hello?" she says as she answers Romeo's call.

"Amelia, you need to get down here now. We just found a body." He gives her the address while she's putting on her uniform. She kisses Donovan bye and rushes down to the crime scene.




________________________________________________________________________________

NOTES:

Looks like Amelia and Donovan are finally going to move in together! I still have 0 of 2 children. Donovan is still working to get to level 5 of the Ghost Hunter career. They also have no properties for my generation goal. My misc fun was It's so you and the apartment is decorated in grey and black, which is their favorite colors.

9 comments:

  1. Great chapter! Amelia sure has an exciting job.
    I love over-protective Donovan. He means well, but I can see it causing problems or backfiring. Still, he's a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes she does. I don't know how she is going to balance out all of the excitement. Yeah, me too but I think Amelia knows how it feels to lose someone too and she doesn't want that for him or her. Still if he starts following her everywhere she goes, we may have a problem. Lol.

      Delete
  2. Gosh I can't get over how beautiful your sims are. I dunno if its the CC or the poses/angle you pick... but great job.

    Right. Time to actually comment on the story. I love the vampire plot you're putting into this, and how complex you're making everything. Can't wait to see where you're going with your story and I especially can't wait to see Amelia and Donovan's kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! It's probably the CC though. I'm not sure I could pull that off with EA's stuff. Lol.

    Yeah, I just hope I don't forget some of these later down the road. I've read probably 15 vampire book series and pulled a little bit of each one plus a little of my own imagination to create my own World. I'm excited for them to have kids too. Usually within 2 Sim weeks they would have been already married and had 2 kids but I'm trying my best to take it slow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! I'm excited for where this is going! And Donovan is cute when he's overprotective, I wonder if he's right though......

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's sweet too. But if it happened to me in real life I'd probably find it annoying sometimes. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Over protective males..... not so hot. and they are usually angry people

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on the guy. Plus if you keep reading you'll find he had every reason to be.

      Delete
  7. Donovan is pretty hot with that gun... Haha

    This story is amazing, I love the details and the complexity. It's really thought out! The whole mind control thing is scary business, isn't it? Amelia better get trained up quick!!!

    ReplyDelete