Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Chapter Ten: Welcome, Part Two


Emmalina's first day of school is tomorrow. Donovan can hardly believe it. It feels like it was just yesterday he was teaching her how to walk. Emmalina has decided she wants to take a Ballet class after school so Donovan sits at the desk and fires up the new computer. They've made several new purchases with the left over car money and he's glad this was one of them. He logs on to her school's website to enroll his daughter. I'm gonna miss having her here all day, he thinks as he logs off and shuts the computer down. They all go to bed early that night. Donovan dreading the morning when he has to send his little girl off to school for the first time.



The next morning, Donovan gets up to cook them all breakfast. He insists that Amelia should remain in bed and rest and assures her he will take care of everything. After breakfast, they hear a honk, the school bus is here. Damn. "Do you have everything? Your book bag? Lunchbox?" Donovan asks with worry in his eyes.

"Yes, Daddy. I have everything. I'll be fine, don't worry."

He smiles at Emmalina and brings her in for a quick hug. "I know you will. Have a good first day, okay? I love you."

"I love you too. Bye!" She races out the door to meet the school bus.



Emmalina gets on the bus and sits down. She's just as nervous as Donovan is about her first day of school, but for different reasons. Will I make good grades? Will I make friends? What if no one wants to be my friend? Emmalina's thoughts take over as the bus continues to take her to school.



Back at home, Amelia's cell phone rings, forcing her out of bed. She glances at the Caller ID and takes Romeo's call. "Hello?"

"Amelia, Guess what?! I just got married."

"You did WHAT!?" Amelia exclaims into the phone, utter shock on her face.

"What? Is that so hard to believe? Did you not think I could find a woman to marry me?"

"No, that's not what I meant. It's just, you didn't even have a girlfriend the last time I talked to you. I haven't seen you with any women either."

"It was kind of a spur of the moment thing. We met at a club and she came home with me that night. When we woke up, we decided to get married. Why does everyone seem to think that's a bad thing? You sound like my mother when I told her."

"Well, it's just all so sudden. What's her name?"

"Marina. She's absolutely perfect. One day I'll bring her by here so you can meet her one day, whenever I have the time. Which is usually never these days though."

"Alright then. Congratulations, I guess. If you are happy and in love, that's all that matters. I actually have some news of my own, I'm pregnant!"

"Thanks, and I knew it would only be a matter of time. Congratulations to the both of you. Do you know what you're having yet?

"No, we don't want to know. We did the nursery in green, I think it would be okay for a girl or boy. Don't you think?

"Yeah, I would say so."

"So how is the hunting going?"

"Bad. We've got two rouges running around the city. William has been helping more than anyone. We're actually going out in a few days to try and bring the bastards down. Vlad is....well Vlad is Vlad. Who knows what he's up to. I'm trying to find more vampires for the team but It isn't looking very promising. I tried to get Renee to come back but she refuses. Bianca has all but quit since her baby has been born. If I don't get this under control soon, the rest of the population will find out about vampires and all hell will break loss. There will be stakes, daggers and probably garlic and crosses, thanks to folklore, flying all over the place. Which will do nothing except get people killed."

"Shit. I'm sorry Romeo. But I PROMISE after this baby is born and old enough to get around a bit, I'll be back to help. I won't quit on you or let you down."

"I know you won't. I'm looking forward to having more back up, I can tell you that." He pauses for a second. "Amelia that's Vlad on the other line. I need to find out where the hell he's been for the last 3 damn meetings. I'll talk to you later."

She goes to say bye but he's already switched over. Damn, I feel sorry for Vlad....No I don't. She thinks and smiles at the idea of Romeo cussing Vlad out. Hehehehe.



Emmalina also had her first ballet class after school today and can't wait to show her father what she's learned. "See Daddy, it's called a plie. I learned it today in ballet class."

"Great job, Emmalina. So I take it you had a good first day of school?"

"It was amazing! I made a lot of new friends and my teacher is really nice."

"I'm glad you had a great first day. So are you ready to go back tomorrow?"

"YES!"



Donovan laughs at her enthusiasm and gives her a hug. "What was that for?"

"For giving me just a lovely performance of your dance moves."

"PLIE Daddy. It's called a plie."

"I'm sorry, yes. It was the best plie I've ever seen.

She gives him another hug and starts to run off. "Where are you going?"

"To do my homework, silly."

Emmalina goes into her room and works on her homework. After she struggles with it she decides she needs to gain more logic if she wants this homework business to get any easier.



Emmalina walks into her parent's room to learn how to play chess on the computer. Amelia walks in and says, "What are you doing sweety?"

"Trying to learn how to be smart."

Amelia laughs, "You're already smart."

"No, I need to be smarter. This school stuff is kind of hard and I want to be really smart so I can make all A's. "

"Do you want some help? You know I use to read a lot of logic books. In fact, I've read them all."

"You wanted to be smarter too?"

"Err...yes, I did." Well actually I didn't want vampires controlling me but I can't exactly tell her that. Actually this might be a good idea. Just in case.... "Sweety I think it's a wonderful idea that you want to learn so much. I want you to keep doing it okay?"

"Okay. You want me to be smart too?"

"Yes, Emmalina. I want you to be very, very smart."



Later that evening Donovan and Amelia have planned to go out to eat at the a local restaurant to have some alone time. But their baby has other plans for them tonight. "Donovan! The baby's coming!" she screams for him. He rushes out of the bathroom and takes her hand. They quickly go to the elevator and down to the first floor.



Amelia gets into the driver's side of her police cruiser. "What do you think you're doing?" Donovan asks.

"I'm driving, you drive too slow and we need to get there fast, unless you want to test your skills at delivering a baby?"

Donovan shuts up on that note and hops into the passenger side. Amelia flips on the sirens and speeds towards the hospital calling her doctor on the way. When they arrive, they both rush through the hospital doors and find Dr. Richardson waiting for them. They've already prepped the deliver room and everyone is standing by. After hours of pushing, there's nothing. "What's wrong, why isn't the baby coming out!?" Donovan frantically asks the doctor. "I think the baby is positioned wrong, we need to do an emergency c-section or we might lose the baby. "What!?" Amelia cries. "Comes on Mrs. Burkhart, let's wheel you into surgery." After an hour of surgery, the doctor successfully and safely delivers the baby. "Congratulations, you have a son." the doctor says as he hands the baby over to the nurse to be cleaned. Both Amelia and Donovan look at their son with tear streaked faces, so relieved that their son is safe. " "You were amazing and so brave." he says as he wipes the sweat off her forehead. He kisses her as they bring their son to them. Smiling, laughing, and crying as they see their son for the first time.



After a few hours in the hospital, Amelia and Mason get a clean bill of health and are ready to go home. Donovan and Amelia are so exhausted they have to take a cab back to the apartment.



When they get back home Amelia takes Mason to the nursery. She hugs him tight, thinking about what could have happened tonight. We could have lost you sweet baby. She tears up just thinking about it. Donovan walks in and Amelia let's him hold Mason.



Amelia walks out to give Donovan some alone time with his son. He gently holds him as he sways back and forth. "Hey little guy. You gave us a scare today. I don't know what we would have done if we lost you." His voice threatens to break and he clears his throat. "You, your sister and your Mom mean the world to me." He says softly. Mason has fallen asleep, content in his father's arms. Donovan carefully places him in the crib and then sits down in the chair beside his crib, where he soon falls asleep too.



A couple of days later, Amelia gets a frantic call from Romeo. "Amelia, are you home?"

"Yes, why? You sound upset. Is everything okay?"

"No, but I don't want to explain it over the phone. I'll be there within the hour." and he hangs up. Amelia tries to wait patiently but her worry starts to get the best of her. She hears the buzz and jumps off the couch to let Romeo up.



He bursts through the door. "Do you have a quiet place we can talk?"

"Yeah, let's go to my bedroom."

Amelia leads the way into the bed room. "What's this about Romeo? You're starting to scare me."

Romeo lets out a sigh, "Firstly I want to say that this changes nothing for you. You will still have the rest of your time off. You need to be here with your family.

"Okay. Now tell me what's going on."

"William died last night."

"Oh my God! What happened?"

"It was an ambush. We thought there were only two rouges. We were wrong, there's five. William, Vlad and I followed two of them into an ally. The other three jumped out. Two went after Vlad, which left one each for me and William. The one William was fighting was a lot older than he was and he just wasn't strong or quick enough. I watched as that rouge ripped his head clean off his shoulders."

"Oh my God." Amelia said again. "I'm so sorry Romeo. I only met him once but he seemed like one of the decent ones."

"He was. A damn good friend. Actually so is Vlad, because if it wasn't for him I'd be dead now too."

"I think I need to come back, Donovan can probably handle the kids on his own."

"No. Amelia you need to spend as much time with them as you can. Especially now when they're little. You need more training, hell we all do. We got cocky, I know I have since Brams was created but what has that gotten us? We can have all the strength in the world but if we don't know how to use it, it's useless."

They stand there starring at each other as they realize what this job could really mean in the end....their deaths. "Are you sure you don't need any help with anything? Will there be a funeral?"

"I don't know. Vampires without eternal mates don't have funerals. They're usually alone."

"Well what about you and Vlad. Weren't you all friends?"

"I was. Vlad really doesn't have friends. He just has acquaintances, and that's just with vampires. He usually ignores humans all together because he said we die too quickly and it's a morbid thing to befriend a being who will barely live 1/10 of your own life. Before these past 5 years, Vlad hasn't even been around humans for at least a hundred years. But, you're right. I was his friend and he was mine. I think I'll do something small for him. Try and make peace with this by myself."

"Call me if you need me. Even if it's a shoulder and I'll be there."

"Thanks Amelia. I need to go, I'll show myself out. He pats her on the shoulder and walks out the door.



Amelia walks out of the bedroom and heads towards the living room. I need a drink...or ten. She mixes a few drinks and starts throwing them back. If a vampire can die on this job, then killing me will be a piece of cake. She chugs another drink. I can't tell Donovan this. He'll never let me go back. No way in hell. Is it lying to him if I don't tell him? She drinks another. No, not really. It's just withholding information. That's not the same as lying, is it?. She's trying to convince herself not to feel guilty as her blood alcohol level rises. Nah, definitely not lying. Amelia stumbles across the living room. Whoa, who put that couch there? She makes it to the bathroom to soak in the tub as she contemplates whether to lie to husband or not.



_________________________________________________________________________________
NOTES:

I now have 2/2 children. Everyone's room is decorated in their favorite colors and they own 1/3 properties. Donovan is almost finished with job #3 and Amelia is still working to reach the top of her career.

You guys, Romeo trips me out so much. He had a girlfriend, then SP informed me he got married to someone completely different than his girlfriend and he constantly tries to flirt with Amelia and gives her flowers all the time. Ugh, I don't know what I'm going to do with him. I decided to include his marriage in the story because I think he just doesn't want to die alone. Also, I'm not sure if you guys remember William or not but he was the other vampire Amelia met when she was training with Vlad. Also Vlad will be making an appearance sometime soon-ish but he will look very different than before. I wanted to make him more attractive, I didn't plan on loving his character so much so he is getting a total makeover, ie a whole new Sim. =]

8 comments:

  1. Poor William, I remember him. I', looking forward to seeing the nighthunter plot pick up again. But I know you have to deal with the kids, my legacy has become a baby farm, too, lol.

    Donovan is such a sweet father. Really, just a lovely man all around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm ready to get through all of these birthdays. I know, you have 3 of them! Eventually we will both move on with our story. Lol.

      He is. We should make him human and duplicate him and send one to everyone who reads my story. I'll take 2!

      Delete
  2. Poor William, Poor Romeo for having to look at it :( I think Amelia is right about how Donovan would react, he might even order her to stay home and do the job himself!

    What a way for poor mason to come to this world! I can't wait to see him as a toddler!

    And very well written on the Amelia drinking her sorrows away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! He would freak out.

      Oh he is absolutely adorable!

      Lol, I can still imagine her stumbling around the living room yelling, "Why is there so much furniture in here! Geez!"

      Delete
  3. I think Donovan would definitely freak out if he knew, but I'm not sure Amelia should keep it from him all the same

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes, that's scary! Amelia better train HARD!!

    And I thought Vlad was pretty hot before, I'm curious to see what you do to him!

    Property mogul on GEN 1 is pretty hard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emmalina in her ballet costume is just about the cutest thing ever. Also, I find Romeo kind of adorable, despite his many outfit changes and the sudden, unexpected marriage. Or maybe because of it. But yeah, MOAR VLAD! ;)

    ReplyDelete